Blog. Photo. Coffee. Repeat.
Check out my Instagram for daily happenings:
Mama Kristy – An Introduction
Who I Am:
- I am an advocate. I have a Master’s degree in School Psychology, which means that I’m deeply passionate about children, education, and mental health. I also hold firm beliefs and values about parenting, which is partially why I’m here. I have something to say.
- I am mother. This one should be a dead-giveaway. As this present moment, my first son is 28 months this side of the womb, and my second son should be making his big debut in roughly 5 – 6 weeks. Motherhood has changed me in so many profound ways.
- I am a little bit “crunchy” but not so stale that my house smells purely of patchouli. Bless the woman that is. I do use essential oils. I do have a salt lamp that I love to turn on in the evenings and plan to use as my nursing night-light. I nursed my first son until he was just two weeks shy of his second birthday (gasp!), and I believe strongly in the many benefits of breastfeeding, baby-wearing, and gentle, responsive parenting. However, I have yet to own any chickens or an alpaca, and I haven’t owned any hemp clothing in at least a decade. So, you’ll find me somewhere in the middle – teetering strangely between hippie/wholesome and convenience mama on the go. Work with me.
- I am passionate about what is best for my family. I don’t always know what that is, to be honest, but I’m always striving. This is again, not to say that I do everything perfectly. My two-year-old son does enjoy a MacDonald’s cheeseburger (no pickles) happy meal from time to time (OK, like once a week – shut-up – I’m pregnant.) I want to be healthy and be the best me for them. I want to love them the best, show them the best, teach them the best… what mama doesn’t?
- I am a feeler. I feel all the feels. I over-share. I promise to be raw, authentic, and honest, because it’s the only way that I know how to be. Some moments that makes me a hot mess, and some moments that makes me passionate, effective, and able to move mountains through sheer will and determination. My intuition drives me, and it doesn’t always “check” all the logical boxes first. I like to think that this is what also makes me sort of fun!
- I am privileged. Hear me out on this one. We do not have millions of dollars in the bank, and we still live what I would consider to be “paycheck to paycheck” … However, privilege is about more than dollar signs. I am white. My first language is English. By virtue of those things alone, I have access to things in this society that others don’t. I realize that my experience of life, my experience as a mother, a wife, a student, a worker – whatever it be, is not universal. This is my story, and it’s the only one that I can tell. Those other stories need to be told as well – arguably more – so if yours is different, please speak up. I will be the first to admit that sometimes I don’t have all the answers.
- I am constantly evolving. This is who I am today. Right now. This is not who I will be in a week, a month, or a year. The fun thing about this blogging business is that we get to evolve together.
Who I Am NOT:
- I am not a fashion blogger, a celebrity gossiper, or a social mogul. In fact, my lack of popular culture knowledge has embarrassed me on more than one occasion. You will not find any #ootd posts – unless purely sarcastic and it will be linked to an image of me in a t-shirt and athletic pants, because that is what I live in. Let’s be real. If I put actual pants on it is a special, special day.
- I am not religious. You will not find any posts about my daily devotional. It is unlikely that I will even use the word “God” unless in an OMG. However, I am spiritual. I have respect for people of all faiths. I just don’t practice, and I certainly don’t preach. I am open to hearing other’s points of view.
- I am not perfect. I am not a “super mom” (if that even exists!?) and I definitely don’t “have it all together”! Some days the cheese has slid waaaaaayyy off of my cracker, if you know what I mean!
- I am not a chef, an expert meal planner, or even a really decent cook. There will be no talk of family recipes passed down from generations nor fancy preparations for hosting elaborate parties and meals. If I take a photo of my food, it is definitely something that someone else prepared – or just a sad excuse for a snack disguised as a meal.
- I don’t take exquisite trips, plan exquisite parties, or generally do fancy things. I will not try to impress you with my fanciness, because it doesn’t exist.
You know when you have had a really shitty week… like really shitty… and you have that one friend that you get to have coffee with? She doesn’t care that you showed up in sweatpants with yesterday’s eyeliner? Yeah, that one. Her only question is, “Are you OK?” and she actually means it… That’s how I want this blog to feel. Like coffee with your bestie. Or margs. Or whatever. Just promise to read it with a drink in hand and share it with a friend.
XO – Mama Kristy